We hope that everyone is having a good spring and summer so far!
It is hard to believe it is already one year since our 35th reunion at Wellesley, but we are very happy that there will soon be many mini-reunions to give 79-ers a chance to connect more locally and informally on or about July 9, 2015. All you need to do is contact the classmate organizing the 79 Connect (and if you happen to be traveling in that location, join in with those local alumnae.)
The mini-reunions scheduled so far are as follows:
- Allentown, Pennsylvania: Watch the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (AAA Phillies) play the Pawtucket Red Sox @ 7:05 pm (probably won't start til 7:09!) @ Coca-Cola Park in Allentown. Contact Dorrie by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by 7/1 so she can get tickets (only $10!). To see the park, visit www.ironpigsbaseball.com
- Atlanta, Georgia: Lunch on Thursday, July 9, 2015 at noon at Cook Hall, 3377 Peachtree Rd. NE in Atlanta. Contact Yvonne Bos at email@example.com.
- Chicago, Illinois: After work drinks on Thursday, July 9, 2014 at time and location to be decided. Contact Kim Marsh by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (312-942-9455). Patricia Anderson is assisting Kim in planning this event.
- London, England: Our class records tell us that we have two alumnae in Oxford and two alumnae in London. Kathryn Bishop is ready, willing and able to coordinate a meeting if there is interest. Please contact Kathryn at email@example.com if you would like to get together and she’ll organize a location.
- Los Angeles, California: Brunch on Saturday, July 18th at 10 AM. Contact Maria Iacobo at firstname.lastname@example.org. The location will be one of the beach towns (Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey).
- Manchester, New Hampshire: Jazz brunch on Sunday, June 14, 2015 at noon at the Currier Museum of Art, 150 Ash Street, Manchester, NH. Current special exhibit: From Birds to Beasts, Audubon’s Last Great Adventure. Also available: tours of the Zimmerman House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Contact: Martha O’Neill by email (email@example.com) or telephone (603-882-1667).
- Minneapolis, Minnesota: Dinner on Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:30 pm at the Mill Valley Kitchen. Contact: Jody Strakosch by email by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (612-325-8481).
- Oakland, California: Lunch on Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 11:00am at The Oakland Grill, 301 Franklin Street, Oakland, CA. The restaurant is in Jack London Square and is accessible by B.A.R.T. Contact: Debbie Robbins Schwartzer by email (email@example.com).
- Sudbury, Massachusetts: Pool-side pot-luck lunch at Cindy Carlson Beckham’s home, 324 Peakham Road, Sudbury, MA on Saturday, July 18, 2015 at noon, with a rain date Sunday, July 19, 2015 at noon. A DJ (Cindy’s son) will provide music. Contact Cindy to RSVP, coordinate food, and make music requests. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 978-443-5843.
- Washington, D.C.: Drinks on Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:00 pm at a restaurant to be decided in D.C. or Virginia. Contact Ann Timmons by email (email@example.com) or telephone (703-244-7546). Terri Hauser is working with Ann to find a great place.
- Weekapaug, Rhode Island: Lunch on Thursday, July 9, 2015 at noon at The Weekapaug Inn. Contact Julie Troxell Alexandre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-528-0430.
- Worcester, Massachusetts: Lunch at the Worcester Art Museum, 55 Salisbury Street, Worcester, MA (www.worcesterart.org) on Saturday, July 11, 2015 at noon. Contact: Ellen Ryder by telephone (508-792-9480).
Our webmistress, Mary Vaskas, has been doing a great job posting the events and is willing to update as more details become available or more mini-reunions get scheduled. We really appreciate having so much interest in mini-reunions and assistance in planning them. If you are able to attend a mini-reunion near you, please contact the organizer as soon as possible.
If there is not a mini-reunion planned near you, there is still time to plan one, either as a “79 Connects on 7/9” mini-reunion or at any time that is convenient for you. Any gathering of 3 or more classmates is considered a mini-reunion by the College. Any gathering of classmates is a special and valued event! We appreciate any feedback on what you would like for future mini-reunions. Check out our new class webpage at 1979.alum.wellesley.edu.
Class Notes: Our class secretary, Dorrie, reminds us "While my next deadline is September 1st, it's never too early to send news. Graduations, weddings or other transition moments this spring and summer or same-old-same-old routine, share your news!" E-mail Dorrie at email@example.com.
And now a word from our sponsors! The Wellesley Office of Resources has provided this update on alumnae participation in the annual fund drive: “We are only 201 donors away from 35% and garnering our first $100,000.00 matching gift. Please make your gift today to reach this first milestone in our quest for 54% participation. Also, for a quick ’79 stats update: $751,044.00 raised; 132 donors; 31.4% participation; and 14 Durants. Our class is just 57 donors from our participation goal of 45%!”
Contributions should be made by June 30th and can be made on line at https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1601/GID2/start.aspx?sid=1601&gid=2&pgid=61&cid=160
Finally, speaking of money, please check https://1979.alum.wellesley.edu/memsub.html to see if you have paid your lifetime dues (the tab is Support 1979 on our website). If not, please send a check for $100, payable to Class of 1979, to our Class Treasurer, Donna Edwards at 716 West Hills Parkway, Baltimore, Maryland 21229. Or, if you have questions, call Donna at (214) 801-7991.
Best wishes for a sunny and fun-filled summer!
Jody, Martha, Dorrie, Donna, Mary, and Yvonne